DONATE YOUR PRE-LOVED CLOTHES, ACCESSORIES AND HOMEWARE AT TK MAXX
Covid-19 has impacted Enable Ireland and now more than ever, children and young people with disabilities need vital support and services. By donating your pre-loved quality clothes, accessories and homeware at your local TK Maxx store, you can help Enable Ireland raise vital funds to support children and young people with disabilities.
Many of you may have had a wardrobe clear-out over the recent months with extra time at home. So why not drop off your bags of pre-loved clothes, accessories and homeware at any TK Maxx store – you can ask any of our team in store to direct you to the donation point. We’re working closely with Enable Ireland to help support the safe delivery of your pre-loved items to their Enable Ireland shops, where each bag could raise up to €20.
Not only will you be supporting children with disabilities, you're doing your bit for the environment by giving your pre-loved clothes a second life. Since the beginning of the partnership, TK Maxx customers and associates have helped collect over 250,000 bags of clothes, accessories and homeware – that’s over 1400 tonnes of pre-loved items diverted from landfill or over 33,000 tonnes of saved carbon emissions.
TK Maxx and Enable Ireland have been working together since 1997, raising over €3.6 million to support over 20,000 children and young people with disabilities and their families in local communities across Ireland.
HOW ENABLE IRELAND SUPPORTS CHILDREN AND THEIR FAMILIES
Enable Ireland’s services for children and their families cover all aspects of a child’s physical, educational and social development from early infancy through adolescence. Thanks to your support, more children can achieve independence, choice and inclusion in their communities.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Enable Ireland provides vital therapy and support services to thousands of children and young people with disabilities across Ireland.
- 13% of the population have a disability. A disability can affect any family at any time and when it does, Enable Ireland is there to provide advice and support from the very start.
TOP TIPS FOR A CHARITABLE CLEAROUT
We all have stuff at home that we could live without – whether it’s clothing we no longer wear, books we’ve already read, mismatched cutlery sets, or that single bedside lamp that’s missing its partner. Sometimes it can be hard to bid farewell to these sentimental items, but if they’re no longer needed, you can give them a new lease of life through donation. We’ve put together five handy tips to help you decide whether to keep or donate:
1. When did you last wear it/use it? If it’s been over a year then it’s time to wave bye-bye.
2. Everyone’s got that one t-shirt they love but deep down, know it’s seen better days. Giving it up for a good cause will make the parting less painful.
3. How does it make you feel when you hold it? If you feel joy then it’s most probably a keeper, but if you feel detached then you know it’s no longer here for you.
4. If you saw it in a shop tomorrow, would you buy it? If the answer’s yes, it’s still yours, if it’s no, you know what to do…
5. Does it make your heart pound? If, regardless of any of the above, you still absolutely love it – then keep it. Sometimes love doesn’t make sense, after all!
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF WHAT YOU KEEP
You can make your clothes last longer by getting to know your care labels before popping items in the wash. Got a broken zip or need to take something in a little bit? Get out the sewing kit and get your fix on.
Top tip: Instead of bunging them in the washing machine, wool jumpers or coats can be aired instead – and jeans can be put in the freezer!